Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Constructing Meaning in the Collaborative Meaning of Film

This is an abstract I wrote for the research methods module of my MSc. The podcast I refer to can be found here.

Director Ron Howard (2007) describes his ‘six of one, half a dozen of the other rule’ as a way of fostering a creative atmosphere. He explains that if an objective for the film can be achieved as successfully using a collaborators idea as using his own, then it is a better choice. This is because ‘..they own that, their execution is going to be pure’ rather than guessing at an idea in the directors mind.

The focus of my research is ‘Falling Out’, a short narrative film which makes use of actors, locations and visual effects to tell it’s story. The aim is to ensure that neither my directorial voice, nor cinema technology will control the core of the film. Rather, I aim to allow for the film to find it’s own voice by allowing myself and my collaborators to be responsive to the needs of the story and the texture of the piece.

In my use of auteur theory to study directors and their work, I have become frustrated at it’s inability to recognise the contribution to meaning made by artistic and technical collaborators.
As a director I must connect with the material on a profound level in order to uncover the objectives that need to be achieved for it to be fully realised. However I must also set aside my ego in order to be open to the intuitive choices that I and my collaborators can make in service of the project.


USC School of Cinematic Arts. (2007). “Conversations With...” Speaker Series guest speaker Ron Howard. [Online]. Feb 28th, 2007. Available from: http://cinema.usc.edu/podcasts/mp3/howard.mp3 [Accessed: 2nd November 2010]